Thursday, October 2, 2008

Without You (1987)

And now, a dedication to my coffee girl, Maria. A Christian tormented by her past. I fell in love with her at a Def Leppard concert we attended together. We also attended my company’s Christmas party together. We were never an item, but I held out hoping. Classic example that if you don’t hook up immediately, you end up in the friendship zone.

She was special, though. I rarely bring anyone with me to a company’s Christmas party. You may not agree, and even hate me for saying it, but spouses and mates at a Christmas party are a ball & chain. You can’t leave them unattended for more than 10 minutes because they don’t know anybody. If you’re lucky, they’re outgoing and can hold their own. But don’t hold your breath.

Plus, you’ve got single guys hitting on them if they’re left alone and are not married. You have to get their plates and drinks for them, introduce them to everyone, who obviously aren’t going to remember her name. Going alone affords you the luxury of: socializing without dead weight, as many trips to the bar as you want without being called out by the mate, and eating as much as you want without being a glutton. Basically, the seven deadly sins of excess. You deserve it. Happens once in a lifetime. Sometimes two. If you’re lucky. Maria comes in second to Nikki. Wrote a poem about her. Like to hear it? Here it goes…

Without You
1987

Time apart
Slows my heart
My breath barely a mist
The waiting is
The hardest part
To, once again,
Be kissed by you
Yes
I miss dearly
A dark mane
To picture-frame
Your face
Ever so clearly
A lioness
No one can tame
Here I am
With open arms
Awaiting your embrace
To take me
Out of harm’s way
Without a trace
Of space
Between us two

A temporary
Moment to be
Until
The time is due
My heart
Will race for thee
When, together again
We’ll be.

No comments: